MHG17226 - Railway Viaduct Over River Finnan, Glenfinnan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY VIADUCT (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
NM98SW 2 908 813 to 911 812
North British Railway; West Highland Extension. Concrete pylon construction.
(Undated) information in NMRS.
This magnificent 21-span curved viaduct is the longest concrete railway bridge in Scotland, measuring 1248 ft (380.5m) in length; it comprises 21 semicircular arches and was opened in 1901 by the West Highland Extension Rly.
J R Hume 1977.
This viaduct was built by Robert McAlpine & Sons of Glasgow to carry the West Highland (Extension) railway across the valley of the River Finna at the head of Loch Shiel. The viaduct itself is chiefly of interest for its pioneering concrete construction.
M Smith 1994.
Opened 1.4.1901 West Highland Railway, Mallaig Extension
LOC Local Plan, Feb. 1991: P130/7.7.18. Safeguards.
J Aitken : 05/06/01.
Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <1>
Allen, I, 196?, Bridges, 56-9 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1884.
Hume, J R, 1977, The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands, 203 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2332.
Bonavia, M R, 1987, Historic railway sites in Britain, 190-1 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1988.
Smith, M, 1994, British railway bridges and viaducts, 151-2 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2818.
<1> Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe, via Flickr (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Allen, I. 196?. Bridges. 56-9.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Bonavia, M R. 1987. Historic railway sites in Britain. 190-1.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 203.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Smith, M. 1994. British railway bridges and viaducts. 151-2.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 9100 8129 (344m by 118m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (5)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:310 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=03_03 (View more information on this bridge from a website about Highland Bridges)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB310 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG17226 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23340 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.