MHG17279 - Loch Laggan Hydro Electric Dam
A curved plan gravity dam in a very prominent location adjacent to the A86, forming part of the Lochaber water power scheme and aluminium smelter, one of the most significant engineering schemes of the 20th century in Britain.
Type and Period (1)
- DAM (20th Century - 1934 AD to 1934 AD)
This dam was upgraded from Category B to Category A on the statutory list in November 2011, following a review as part of the Hydroelectric Power Thematic Survey 2010 . <1>
A new leaflet by the Lochaber Archaeological Society describes a report on the dam by 607 Squadron Dam Busters. A scan of the leaflet is attached to this record. <2>
<1> Historic Scotland, 14/11/2011, Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, One Hundred and Twenty Ninth Amendment) 2011 (Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings). SHG25577.
<2> Lochaber Archaeological Society, 2012, War Years Over Lochaber (Text/Publication/Leaflet). SHG25652.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Scotland. 14/11/2011. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, One Hundred and Twenty Ninth Amendment) 2011.
- <2> Text/Publication/Leaflet: Lochaber Archaeological Society. 2012. War Years Over Lochaber. Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||Centred NN 3723 8077 (76m by 183m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:6835 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB6835 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.