MHG19924 - Kylesku Bridge
Kylesku Bridge in Sutherland, opened on 8 August 1984 by Her Majesty The Queen.
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (20th Century - 1981 AD to 1984 AD (built))
Kylesku Bridge in Sutherland.
Photographed by Highland Regional Council. <1>
The bridge was propsed for listing by Historic Environment Scotland in 2018. Kylesku Bridge is a curved concrete box-girder bridge supported on two pairs of V-shaped concrete piers, spanning the deep sea inlet of Caolas Cumhann. It was built between 1981-84 to the designs of Ove Arup and Partners for the Highland Regional Council. Built at a cost of £5.3 million, the main contractors were Morrison Construction Ltd. in conjunction with Lehane, MacKenzie and Shand. The bridge is located in Sutherland in the northwest of Scotland. It forms part of the North Coast 500 route between Ullapool and Scourie, and carries the A894 non-trunk road over the inlet where Loch a' Chàirn Bhàin, Loch Glencoul and Loch Gleann Dubh meet. Spanning a total length of 276m, the bridge comprises a central span of 132m, flanked by two smaller spans of 72m. The portal frame means that it has a largely consistent navigable clearance of 24m along its length. The continuous curved deck is a hollow box girder of pre-stressed concrete, with a carriageway and a footway over. The deck is supported by two pairs of V-shaped concrete piers, which are located on either side of the channel. The piers are splayed outwards by 16m at the base, inclining upwards to converge at the deck. The carriageway and footway have aluminium parapets with three horizontal rails. The deck is inclined to accommodate the curvature of the bridge. The bridge was completed in July 1984 and it was officially opened on 8 August 1984 by Her Majesty The Queen. <2>
The bridge was listed at Category A by Historic Environment Scotland with effect from 23/01/2019. It is the first such designation to have both an English and a Gaelic name as part of the statutory address. <3>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Highland Regional Council. Kylesku Bridge. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic environment Scotland Designations Team. 2018. Assessment against the listing criteria: Kylesku Bridge. Historic Environment Scotland. 13/12/2018. Digital.
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Notification of the listing of Drochaid a’ Chaolais Chumhaing, An Caolas Cumhang / Kylesku Bridge, Kylesku, LB52497. Historic Environment Scotland. 24/01/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2264 3378 (238m by 258m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=10_46 (View more information on this bridge from a website about Highland Bridges)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB52497 (View full HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/97572 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.