MHG25228 - Ardnamurchan Lighthouse
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- LIGHTHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NM46NW0013 Keeper's Houses
NM46NW 4.00 4158 6745
NM46NW 4.01 4159 6745 cottages
NM46NW 4.02 c. 4155 6750 sundial
(Location cited as NM 416 675). Built 1848, engineer Alan Stevenson. A circular-section, slightly-tapering stone tower, with a corbelled walkway and standard lantern. The keepers' houses are single-storey, flat-roofed. The most westerly lighthouse on the mainland of Britain.
J R Hume 1977. <1>
This (shore) lighthouse was converted to group flashing in 1927/8.
R W Munro 1979. <2>
NM 4158 6745. Ardnamurchan Lighthouse: The lantern of this lighthouse rises to a height of 55m above the shore of the most westerly point of the British mainland. It was designed by Alan Stevenson in 1846 and built by Robert Hume, a contractor from Gatehouse-of-Fleet. The light was first displayed in 1849, the total cost of construction being $13,738. In its original form the light was fixed; a flashing signal was adopted in 1928.
(A full description of the lighthouse and associated buildings is given by RCAHMS).
RCAHMS 1980, visited 1971.
Reference: Bell Rock Folio belonging to Mr R Q C Stevenson, Edinburgh
40. Ardnamurchan Lighthouse (Plate XXVII). Engraving.
James Andrews delt. William Miller Sculpt. (Alan Stevenson's Account of the Skerryvore Lighthouse, 1848).
Photographs of this lighthouse were submitted to the HER by Martin Briscoe in April 2010. <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Admiralty list of lights. 1980. Admiralty list of lights and fog signals: volume A: British Isles and north coast of France from Dunkerque to entrance to Goulet de Brest including North Sea oil and gas production installations. 252, no. 3882.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Allardyce and Hood, K and E M. 1986. At Scotland's edge: a celebration of two hundred years of the lighthouse service in Scotland and the Isle of Man. 78-9, 154.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hay and Stell, G D and G P. 1986. Monuments of industry. 22-3.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Taylor, A. 02/2010. A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 18, No. 46.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie and Harman, J N G and M. 1985. Exploring Scotland's heritage: Argyll and the Western Isles. 102, no. 41.
- --- Text/Publication/Article/Newspaper Article: Ardnamurchan Lighthouse. 1997. [Ardnamurchan Lighthouse, newscutting]. The Herald.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council. Ardnamurchan Point Lighthouse. Colour Slide. . Colour photograph.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council. Lighthouse, Ardnamurchan Point. Colour Slide. . Colour photograph.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 310, pl. 117.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Munro, R W. 1979. Scottish lighthouses. 129, 130, 155, 243, 255, 275.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 4158 6747 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB521 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22125 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.