MHG3867 - Greig Street, Inverness, suspension bridge
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SUSPENSION BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH64NE 118 6644 4530 to 6635 4537
(Suspension bridge of wire rope and truss deck type). Built 1881, probably by C R Manners, engineer, and Rose Streeet foundry, Inverness, contractors. Lattice-girder pylons on cast-iron bases, wire-rope cables, iron rod suspenders, light truss span. Public footbridge.
J R Hume 1977b.
Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <1>
Taylor, A, 02/2010, A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25366.
Hume, J R, 1977, 'Scottish suspension bridges', Scot Archaeol Forum Vol. 8 1976, p.91-105, 103, no. 5b (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1480.
Hume, J R, 1977, The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands, 208 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2332.
Minchinton, W, 1984, A guide to industrial archaeology sites in Britain, 169 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2521.
<1> Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe, via Flickr (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Hume, J R. 1977. 'Scottish suspension bridges', Scot Archaeol Forum Vol. 8 1976, p.91-105. Scot Archaeol Forum. 91-105. 103, no. 5b.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 208.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Minchinton, W. 1984. A guide to industrial archaeology sites in Britain. 169.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Taylor, A. 02/2010. A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6639 4539 (87m by 65m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:35248 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=01_03 (View more information on this bridge from a website about Highland Bridges)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB35248 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG3867 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.