MHG4651 - Corrieyairack Pass, Bridge Over Allt Feith A Mhoraire, Melgarve
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Not on scheduled section.
See Parent record NN49NW0003 for general information on the Wade Road from Dalwhinnie to Fort Augustus over the Corrieyairack Pass
NN49NE 3 4686 9609
On a diversion of the Wade Road of 1731 (Lin 503) which crosses the Corriyairack Pass, an arched bridge (span 6.79m) over the Allt Feith a'Mhoraire near Melgarve (Drummin) had deteriorated. There were gaps in the parapets, a hole in the arch and, most recently, erosion of the right hand upstream training wall. In 1984 the arch and parapets were repaired, the right hand abutment was grouted, and the training wall was strengthened with concrete and stone-filled gabions. Most of the original masonry was repointed.
G R Curtis and R L Smith 1987.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Curtis and Smith, G R and R L. 1987. 'Melgarve (Laggan parish) masonry bridge; mansonry bridge', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1988, p.24-5. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 24-5. 25.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Taylor, W. 1976. The military roads in Scotland. 58-60.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 4687 9610 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB12373 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=HL719 (View photographs and information on Scottish Highland Bridges website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/24013 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.