MHG5079 - Dunan

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • TOWNSHIP (Undated)
  • CULTIVATION REMAINS (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

There are considerable footings of many houses here visible on the ground. The grid reference has been corrected to show MacAskill's house, which is roofless but has walls standing to eaves height. The west gable is crowstepped, the east end seems to have been modified and extended to form a rounded shape. Slots for half crucks are visible in the walls. According to M. Wildgoose, this house was replaced by one with an exactly similar plan in Glen MhicAskill which can be seen by the road there.

The building is unusual and would merit further research.

The MacAskills were cleared from here in the 19th century .

JW Visited in the company of M.Wildgoose, S.Birch and M.Carmichael 30/5/02.

JW 31/5/02

==========================================
NMRS Notes:

NG41NW 1 401 165.

(NG 401 165) Dunan: Shown as a township c. 1600, (J Blaeu 1662) and 1824 (Information from W Johnson's Map of Skye), but deserted by 1877. (OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, Island of Skye, 1st ed., {1877})
From very early times the MacAskills occupied the district of Rudha an Dunain, where the ruins of the family residence may still be seen.
J Blaeu 1662; A Nicolson 1930; A Mackenzie 1883.

The depopulated township of Dunan is situated at the eastern end of a sheltered valley at about 100' OD. It comprises some 24 ruined buildings. Included in the township is a later well-built house of dressed stone, in good condition although roofless; this is pointed out as MacAskill's house. (Information from Mr Maclean, Glen Brittle)
Mr J MacAskill, (J MacAskill, Drynoch) aged 88 years, formerly of Glen Brittle, says that the people of Rudh' an Dunain were moved many years ago to Glen Ose (q.v. NG34SW 11) and today the upper end of this glen is called Vic Askill.
A considerable area of lazy-bed cultivation is evident surrounding the township.
Visited by OS (C F W) 9 April 1961.

A township, comprising twenty-two unroofed building and five enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Isle of Skye 1881, sheet xlix).Twenty-four unroofed buildings and three enclosures is shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1965).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 14 November 1996.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 4014 1655 (323m by 298m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NG41NW
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish BRACADALE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.