MHG56050 - Bowl barrow - Urchany, Kilmorack
A large earthwork, originally thought to be a henge but with a central mound, at Urchany, Kilmorack. It is now thought to be a rare (for the Highlands) bowl barrow with an external bank and ditch.
Type and Period (1)
- BOWL BARROW (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
A large earthwork, possibly a henge, at Urchany, Kilmorack. It consists of a central mound, flat topped and about 7m diameter at the base, surrounded by a horseshoe shaped ridge of about 20m diameter. The mound and ridge are joined at the apex of the horseshoe by a connecting ridge or "causeway". The causeway and the apex of the horseshoe are on the west side of the mound. The horseshoe is open to the east. There are a few cup marked stones nearby, as well as cottage ruins and enclosures of the last few centuries. At 1 - 1.5km distance to the east there are hut circles and a dun. It was recorded by NOSAS. <1>
A site visit by K Cameron of the Highland Council was undertaken with members of NOSAS in June 2013, during which additional photographs were taken. <2>
The site was subject to topographical survey by members of NoSAS in July 2013. <3>
It is now thought to be a rare (for the Highlands) bowl barrow with and external bank and ditch. It was Scheduled by Historic Scotland on 10/10/2014. <4>
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Munro, A.. 2013. Email from A Munro regarding mound at Urchany. North of Scotland Archaeology Society (NOSAS). Yes. Digital.
- <2> Personal communication: Cameron, K.. 2013. Pers Comm K Cameron re: possible henge at Urchany. Highland Council.
- <3> Image/Drawing/Plan: North of Scotland Archaeological Society. 2013. Earthwork at Urchany. North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS). Yes. Digital.
- <4> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Scotland. 2014. Notification of Scheduled Monument: Urchany, barrow 595m SW of. Historic Scotland. 30/10/2014. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4426 4550 (28m by 28m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13523 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/345775/urchany (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.