MHG7147 - Inchrory

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH55NW 15 512 596.
Chapel of the Virgin Mary of Inchrory stood on N side of both road and river opposite Fodderty churchyard. (NH 55 NW 13)
It is mentioned 1349 and was held by Vicar of Foddertie at the Reformation. The name Croicht an Teampuil - Croft of the Church - applied to a small field at NH 512 595, probably has some bearing; and the neighbouring name 'Dochmaluag' at NH 519 599, incorporates the name of Mo-Luoc of Lismore (died 592) incorporates the name of Mo-Luoc of Lismore (died 595) and could indicate an early origin for the chapel. OPS 1855; W J Watson 1904; H Scott 1929; NSA 1845; W J Watson 1926; Name Book 1876

No further information Visited by OS (J B) 25 April 1975

Sources/Archives (7)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 5119 5960 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH55NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish FODDERTY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.