MHG7771 - Township, Glenarigolach
No summary available.
Type and Period (4)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Undated)
- CORN DRYING KILN (Undated)
- BYRE (Undated)
- None recorded
NG98NE 2 984 897.
'Glenarigolach' is name applied to a number of ruins about 1 mile SE of Rhidorcha and about half a mile S of Carn Leum Niall.
Name Book 1875, ref no. 35, 109
In sheltered valley of Allt a' Ghlinne, 300 ft OD., there is a depopulated settlement, still known locally as Glenarigolach, which comprises extant remains of 22 rectangular buildings, varying in size from 30m x 4m to 5m x 3m and with an average height of 1.3m. There are also several 0.7m high heather covered earth and stone field banks and enclosures in area, within which there is evidence of lazy beds and field clearance. It is evident in two of longest buildings that they comprise a dwelling and byre as a drainage duct can be seen running along centre of one of compartments. Another significant feature of this site is a small corn-drying kiln measuring 5.0 x 3.0m.
Visited by OS (N K B) 22 March 1965;
Visible on RAF APs CPE/SCOT/321: 3168-9 70-1
Nine unroofed buildings, an enclosure, some field walls and two field-systems are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1881, sheet xx). Twenty-two unroofed buildings, some field walls and three field-systems are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 13 February 1996
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9840 8961 (900m by 1079m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: DELETED - merged with MHG7771 (Monument) (MHG45256)
- Parent of: DELETED - merged with MHG7771 (Monument) (MHG45258)
- Parent of: DELETED - merged with MHG7771 (Monument) (MHG45259)
- Parent of: Field System - Glenarigolach (Monument) (MHG58676)
- Parent of: Lazy Beds, Glenarigolach (Monument) (MHG45257)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12056 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.