MHG8178 - Chambered long cairn - Kinrive West
A chambered long cairn at Kinrive.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED LONG CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
A chambered long cairn at Kinrive.
NH67NE 2 6993 7538.
(NH 699 754) Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
A long cairn only 150ft west of the NH67NE 5. It is a featureless mound of bare stones, overgrown with heather along the edges, measuring 207ft long, 61ft across NE end and 42ft across SW end. From NE end an old dyke runs to NW but there are no convincing traces of horns. Human bones have often been found (ISSFC 1902)
ISSFC 1902; V G Childe 1944; A S Henshall 1963.
As described above, cairn has a max height of 3.5m near NE end.
Visited by OS (R D L) 12 May 1963.
The site was Scheduled with its neighbour to the northeast in 1964.
Graham Grant visited this site on 23 September 2011 and took photos for the HER. He describes it as a "fine example of a long cairn and very accessible - there is even an information board just below the cairn. Virtually intact except for a few robber holes throughout the length of the cairn." <1>
The site was re-scheduled in 2016 by Historic Environment Scotland. <2> <3>
GIS spatial data amended in 2017 according to its location as seen on OS MasterMap. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Childe, V G. 1944. 'An unrecognised group of chambered cairns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.26-38. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 26-38. 28, 30-1.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 8, No. 13.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 350, ROS 27.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 564, 565, Ros 27.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1902. 'Excursion to Balnagown and Strathrory', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 5 1895-9, p.359-64. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 359-64. 363.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Grant, G. 2009-11. Information and photographs of various HER sites submitted by Graham Grant. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: MacIver, M.. 2016. Changes to the schedule of Monuments 27/09/2016. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM2436: Kinrive West and Kinrive East, long cairns 150m NNW and 175m N of Mid Kinrive. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6993 7538 (60m by 62m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||KILMUIR EASTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2436 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13721 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.