MHG8510 - Lighthouse, Keeper's Cottage & Enclosing Wall, Tarbat Ness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- LIGHTHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
(Location cited as NH 947 876). Tarbat Ness Lighthouse, built 1830 by engineer Robert Stevenson, rebuilt 1892. A tall circular tower on a semicircular one-storey base, with a triangular paned lantern with a domed roof. The corbelled parapet is machicolated. The keepers' houses are of the normal single-storey, flat-roofed variety.
J R Hume 1977.
As originally built (by James Smith of Inverness) the lighthouse used obaque cylindrical shades moved in the vertical plane to display an 'intermittent' or occulting light. Earthquake shocks have been felt at the lighthouse, and the two distinguishing horizontal bands were added in 1915.
R W Munro 1979.
Hume, J R, 1977, The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands, 297 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2332.
Munro, R W, 1979, Scottish lighthouses, 83, 85, 87, 89, 105, 106, 175, 205, 255, 275; pl. p. 206 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2557.
Admiralty list of lights, 1980, Admiralty list of lights and fog signals: volume A: British Isles and north coast of France from Dunkerque to entrance to Goulet de Brest including North Sea oil and gas production installations, 234, no. 3506 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1875.
Allardyce and Hood, K and E M, 1986, At Scotland's edge: a celebration of two hundred years of the lighthouse service in Scotland and the Isle of Man, 26, 125, 154 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1882.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Admiralty list of lights. 1980. Admiralty list of lights and fog signals: volume A: British Isles and north coast of France from Dunkerque to entrance to Goulet de Brest including North Sea oil and gas production installations. 234, no. 3506.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Allardyce and Hood, K and E M. 1986. At Scotland's edge: a celebration of two hundred years of the lighthouse service in Scotland and the Isle of Man. 26, 125, 154.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 297.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Munro, R W. 1979. Scottish lighthouses. 83, 85, 87, 89, 105, 106, 175, 205, 255, 275; pl. p. 206.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9469 8755 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:14100 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14100 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15615 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.