MHG8635 - Axe Hammer or Battle Axe, Cairn at Scotsburn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Axe-hammer or battle-axe of grey stone 4.65in long, with deep curved indentations top and bottom, emphasised by ornamental grooves. Found in a small cairn of stones at Scotsburn, Balnagown, Ross-shire.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1953.
RMS AH 221, F E S Roe 1966.
This battle-axe is a grooved example of the Northern Variant with extreme expansion of the blade. It has been petrologically identified as sandstone.
T H McK Clough and W A Cummins 1988.
The battle axe is listed under Acc. No. AH 221 in the NMS catalogue. <1>
- --- SHG1619 Text/Publication/Article: Roe, F E S. 1966. 'The battle-axe series in Britain', Proc Prehist Soc Vol. 32 1966, p.199-245. Proc Prehist Soc. 199-245. 243, No. 428.
- --- SHG3163 Text/Publication/Article: Clough and Cummins, T H McK and W A. 1988. Lists of identifications. 141-264. 240, no. ROS 3.
- --- SHG582 Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1953. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 85 1950-1, p.183-92. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 183-92. 184, No. 15.
- <1> SHG28278 Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AH 221.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7200 7600 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||LOGIE EASTER|
- AXE HAMMER (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14570 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.