MHG8986 - Moated site, David's Fort

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • MOATED SITE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

NH55SW 4 5394 5328.
David's Fort {NR}

The origin of name "David's Fort" is unknown. Name Book 1876.

Homestead Moat, David's Fort, Conon: Of characteristic trapezoid plan it is formed on minor eminence, interior standing a few feet above surrounding ground. Measures 83ft N-S by 85 to 105ft transversely within a wet ditch, approx. 15ft deep. Internally only feature visible was circular depression 25' diameter, 3' in depth situated close to margin halfway along W side. The ditch is surrounded by remains of a substantial bank standing up to 9ft in height and to 3ft above ground outside. W sector, only 2ft high, is cut by a depression about 5ft wide outside which a hollow track leads off W down slope. The gap & depression may represent place where a wooden bridge originally spanned moat.
Info from R W Feachem (Mss notes) 2 7 1958; A J Beaton 1885.

David's Fort is a homestead moat covered with scrub and trees. The moat still contains water, but it is partially filled with debris in S. Originally fed by a waterway running from an artificially constructed pond, 100m E of site to a cut in bank at NE corner. Another cut through this outer bank in NW was most probably original entrance. The purpose of the break in outer bank in S corner of moat could not be ascertained. The "circular depression" in the interior, mentioned by Feachem, has apparently been made by an uprooted tree, now lying in moat.
Re-surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 22 January 1965.

Site listed in Atlas of Scottish History (McNeill & MacQueen 1996) as moated site.
Information from RCAHMS (DE) September 1997


Conon, David's fort (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG8510.


Interior of David's Fort, (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG8095.


Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 31, 40 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3363.


Beaton, A J, 1883, 'Notes on ancient fortifications in the Black Isle, Ross-shire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 17 1882-3, p.414-23, 416-20; plan 417 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1191.


RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 20, No. 126 (Text/Report). SHG2675.


Stell, G, 1986, Architecture and society in Easter Ross before 1707, 107 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG3139.


McNeill, P G B and MacQueen, H L (eds), 1996, Atlas of Scottish History to 1707,, 431 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2506.

Sources/Archives (7)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 5393 5328 (138m by 127m)
Map sheet NH55SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.