MHG9050 - BA Hoard, Dingwall
A Bronze Age hoard consisting of two socketed axeheads, a bracelet, a necklet and a sunflower pin head.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Presented by Mrs. Lyn Borchard of Natal to the Anthropological Museum University of Aberdeen, bronzes including two socketed axes, bracelet, necklet, sunflower pin head. The putative hoard was discovered prior to 1851 by a farmer who emigrated to South Africa in that year. The precise location of the find is unknown but must be assumed to have been in Dingwall district where the farmer was born and from where he sailed in 1851. The bronzes invite comparison with the contents of other late bronze Age hoards, especially Braes of Gight and Wester Ord, and help confirm links between NE Scotland and continental European Hallstatt cultures of the late 6th century BC.
C Hunt 1984.
This hoard was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned a Late Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Cowie, T. & Inglis, J. 1988. Magic Metal: Early Metalworkers in the North-East, Aberdeen. 47.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Hunt, C. 1984. 'Dingwall Parish, Bronze hoard or part-hoard', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1984, p.49. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 49. 49.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Hunt, C. 1985. 'Dingwall, Bronze hoard or part-hoard', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1985, p.21. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 21. 21.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 85-6, 138, 147, H7.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5399 5800 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- NECKLACE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- BRACELET (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- PIN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12801 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-142-177-C& (Link to online SCRAN record)
- https://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-142-180-C& (Link to online SCRAN record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.