MHG95 - Pipeline, Kinlochleven Aluminium Works
Modern pipeline serving Kinlochleven aluminium works. Associated construction works, such as a crane and railway beds run in the vicinity of the pipeline.
Type and Period (3)
- PIPELINE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- AQUEDUCT (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- RAILWAY (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
The pipeline runs from the power house at Kinlochleven (MHG33837) to the valve house (MHG22201) at 220199 760451. It then turns into a 'conduit' - sometimes referred to as an aqueduct, running all the way to the main dam at the head of Blackwater Reservoir (MHG94).
This system formed part of a hydro-electric power scheme that was at one time the biggest in Europe. The monument was scheduled in 1994. Groups of penstocks regulated the water supply to the Aluminium plant. <1>
Running parallel and on the north side of the pipeline running from the Blackwater dam to the Aluminium smelter is the remains of a rail bed. The tracks are set into concrete 0.5m apart. Over this track is a pylon that appears to have carried an overhead cable. The pylon is situated to the immediate west of the valve house (MHG22201). <2>
A rail bed running to the S of the pipeline was noted during a site visit in 2010. <3>
The scheduling of this aqueduct and pipeline was revoked in December 2011 due to the new category A listing of the associated buildings. <4>
<1> Puls, A, Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist (Verbal Communication). SHG23286.
<2> Burgess, C, 1996, Pre-afforestation survey at Kinlochleven, Site 62 (Text/Report). SHG21147.
<3> Puls, A, Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist (Verbal Communication). SHG23286.
<4> Historic Scotland, 12/2011, Exclusion from schedule - Kinlochleven, hydro-electric power station, aqueduct and dam (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG25601.
- <1> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Text/Report: Burgess, C. 1996. Pre-afforestation survey at Kinlochleven. AOC Archaeology Group. . . Site 62.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <4> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Scotland. 12/2011. Exclusion from schedule - Kinlochleven, hydro-electric power station, aqueduct and dam. Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||Centred NN 2189 6071 (5577m by 2125m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||LISMORE AND APPIN|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:6052 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/76446 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.