Trial trenching was undertaken by G Robins in May 1995 prior to development of the former Macrae & Dick garage site, King Street, Nairn, which lies within the medieval centre of town. Nineteen trenches were opened, revealing the foundations of a stable block and outbuildings, laid into natural dune-sand. The site was levelled in the 1950s, truncating any pre-existing features. Artefact evidence coincides with evidence from deeds giving a date of 1798 for the earliest recorded development of the site. <1>
A watching brief was conducted in July 1995 during the laying of foundations but revealed nothing more of archaeological significance.
Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Robins, G.. 1995. The Garage Site, King Street, Nairn: Trial-trenching project 23rd-25th May 1995. George Robins (unaffiliated). 25/05/1995. Paper and Digital.
Text/Publication/Article/Newspaper Article: Anon. 1995. The oldest road in Nairn?. The Nairnshire Telegraph (30.5.1995). . Digital (scanned as PDF).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred NH 8836 5659 (66m by 44m)
INVERNESS NAIRN BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
Mar 17 2015 11:40AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.