A programme of archaeological monitoring and investigation was carried out in May 2006 during the excavation of a cable trench between Glendoe and Auchteraw, south of Fort Augustus in Inverness-shire, part of the works associated with the construction of Glendoe Hydro Scheme. As well as general monitoring of the cable route, the project provided an opportunity to investigate sections of General Wade’s military road, constructed in 1726-7. Methods of construction of the road surface were noted, and one culvert was uncovered, dismantled and recorded. The work also provided an opportunity to note and record details of the St Benedict’s Abbey’s hydro-electric scheme, originally constructed in 1889, although the cable laying had a minimal impact on these features. <1>
Text/Report: C Dagg. Glendoe Hydro Scheme - Cable Route from Glendoe to Auchteraw. . .
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Glendoe and Achteraw, South of Fort Augustus
Centred NH 3972 0890 (444m by 286m)
INVERNESS NAIRN BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY
BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
Aug 26 2014 11:36AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.