EHG2819 - Trial trench - High Pasture Cave site, Isle of Skye
West Coast Archaeological Services
A trial trench excavation was carried out by West Coast Archaeological Services at High Pasture Cave in 2004. Work was undertaken in Bone Passage to investigate the potential of any surviving archaeological deposits within the cave and to provide potential samples for radiocarbon dating. The trench (Trench 1) measured one metre long and spanned the width of Bone Passage, which at this point measures between 1.8m and 2.0m wide, and revealed a well-stratified sequence of archaeological deposits. In addition, a significant deposit of animal bone was excavated, labelled Feature F001. The bone deposit was discovered during the removal of a stalagmite boss for potential dating purposes, during the cave morphology survey in May 2004. <1>-<10>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S., Wildgoose, M. and Kozikowski, G.. 03/2005. Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave), Strath, Isle of Skye 2004: The Preliminary Assessment and Analysis of Late Prehistoric Cultural Deposits from a Limestone Cave and Associated Surface Features. West Coast Archaeological Services. 09/07/2005. Digital. p32-71.
- <2> Text/Report: MacSween, A. 03/2005. High Pasture: Report on the Pottery. Unaffiliated. . Digital.
- <3> Text/Report: Cressey, M. 03/2005. Preliminary charcoal assessment. CFA Archaeology Ltd. . Digital.
- <4> Text/Report: McLaren, D and Hunter, F. 03/2005. High Pasture Cave: Assessment Report on Small Finds. National Museums of Scotland. . Digital.
- <5> Text/Report: Ceron-Carrasco, R. 03/2005. Analysis of the fish remains. University of Edinburgh. . Digital.
- <6> Text/Report: Ceron-Carrasco, R. 03/2005. Analysis of the marine mollusc remains. University of Edinburgh. . Digital.
- <7> Text/Report: Drew, C. 03/2005. Preliminary analysis of the animal bone. University of Durham. . Digital.
- <8> Text/Report: Gleed-Owen, C. 03/2005. Amphibian bone analysis. The Herpetological Trust. . Digital.
- <9> Text/Report: Pannell, C. 03/2005. Report on the Preliminary Gastropod Findings from Uamh An Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave), Kilbride, Strath, Isle of Skye, Scotland. University of Glasgow. . Digital.
- <10> Text/Report: Rowley-Conwy, P. 03/2005. Preliminary analysis of charred plant remains. University of Durham. . Digital.
|Location||Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave), Isle of Skye|
|Grid reference||Centred NG 59428 19739 (3m by 2m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.