As part of the continued archaeological works related to the construction of a new visitor centre and reinterpretation of the 1746 battlefield, the National Trust for Scotland commissioned GUARD to continue the metal detector survey begun in April 2005. In December 2005, the areas corresponding to the new building footprint and the associated car park were surveyed. Low densities of buttons and musket balls were recovered, suggesting that sporadic fighting took place behind the main Government Left, possibly in mopping-up operations involving Jacobites who had broken through the Government line. Lead casting debris and a silver King's Shilling dated to the 1690s may represent evidence for the site of the temporary Government camp established on the field after the battle. <1>
Text/Publication/Article: Pollard, T.. 2006. Culloden Battlefield: Metal Detector Survey, Radar Survey, Watching Brief. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 89.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.