EHG2928 - Sound Of Mull Archaeological Project (SOMAP)
(Location cited as NM 693 428). Ardtornish Bay: stone quay. The remains of an old stone quay were identified while walking along the rocky western shore of Ardtornish Bay, adjacent to Ardtornish Castle. The pier does not appear on Admiralty chart 2155 (surveyed 1851) so must post-date this. On the landward side, a rough track supported by a stone retaining wall, leads from Ardtornish Steading (NM64SE 18)(built in c. 1800), down to the quay. Two phases on activity are apparent. The older remains consist of the track, retaining wall and seven squared blocks visible around low water and laid edge-to-edge (length of the remaining quay is 4.65m) onto basalt bedrock. These blocks appear to be sandstone and two drilling holes were seen in one of them. Diving surveys confirmed that the remains of the facing stones and rubble infill of the quay now cover the rocky slope below mean low water springs. A second phase of construction post-dates the collapse of the earlier pier and is evident in the form of rough mortar/cement steps leading down to the rock edge and several ferrous mooring bolts/rings. It seems likely that the early phase is associated with expansion work around 1846 to Ardtornish Steading (NM64SE 18), the demolition in 1907 of Old Ardtornish House (NM64SE 15) or with 19th- and early 20th- century restoration activity at the castle (NM64SE 1). <1>
|Grid reference||NM 6929 4267 (point)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.