A desk-based assessment and field survey were carried out by C Dagg in August 2008 in advance of a proposed hydroelectric scheme on the river of the Cia Aig (Abhainn Chia-aig) located at the eastern end of Loch Arkaig, approximately 15 km north of Fort William. The survey revealed a drove road, a shieling site, a building and the cia-aig bridge. Two historical sites were also identified including 'the Witch's Cauldron' and 'Prince Charlie's Cave'. Only the shieling site and the building were considered to be close enough to be impacted by the development. Careful design and marking of the sites was recommended to help minimise damage. <1>
The results of the DBA and survey were used to inform an environmental statement submitted in support of a planning apllication for the scheme. <2>
Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg, C.. 2008. Cia-Aig Hydro-Electric Scheme, Kilmallie, Inverness-shire: Cultural Heritage and Archaeological Evaluation. Catherine Dagg. Digital.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Eastern end of Loch Arkaig, Lochaber
Centred NN 1797 9045 (1007m by 3277m)
ROSS SKYE AND LOCHABER
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
Nov 10 2015 3:21PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.