In August and September 2007, the Centre for Battlefield Archaeology and Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD) conducted a programme of archaeological investigation of the remains of the old fort at Fort William, part of the Parade in the town of Fort William and the battlefield of Inverlochy. The fieldwork involved geophysical survey at the fort and the Parade (see EHG4351), followed by trial excavation of anomalies (see EHG4723), and the metal detector survey of an area near Inverlochy Castle in search of remains of the battle fought there in 1645. The metal detector survey at Inverlochy resulted in the recovery of two musket balls which may relate to the battle, but the sparsity of material does not allow any firm conclusions to be drawn about the exact location of the engagement. This part-Heritage Lottery assisted project was a Highland 2007 initiative supported by Lochaber Community Fund and Highland Council, and included active participation on the part of the local community, including school groups and metal detectorists. <1>
Text/Publication/Article: Pollard, T. 2008. The Archaeology of the Siege of Fort William, 1746. Journal of Conflict Archaeology Vol. 4. 189-230. Digital.
Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Pollard, T. & Lelong, O.. 2007. Fort William and Inverlochy Archaeological Project (Historic Conflict in the Highlands). Glasgow University (GUARD). 09/01/2008. Paper and Digital.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.