An archaeological metal detecting survey undertaken by AOC Archaeology Group on three land parcels at the village of Auldearn, Highland, as part of the cultural heritage assessment work associated with the proposed dualling of the A96, including the Nairn bypass. The land parcels totalled 74.4 hectares and were situated at NH 90582 55682, NH 91147 55762 & NH 91127 56037 (centered), respectively. The survey was undertaken in order to assess the possible impact of the proposed works on the site of the Battle of Auldearn (1645). The metal detecting survey recovered 96 metal artefacts. The metal finds included two impacted lead musket balls, lead scrap, a silver plated charm, copper buckles, buttons, a 19th century Temperance Society badge and 17th century, Victorian and Late Georgian coinage. A copper ratchet mechanism, probably from a crossbow, was also recovered. Numerous pieces of modern agricultural machinery and detritus were also detected. All of the fields were heavily contaminated with modern material: drinks cans and other debris. These were heavily concentrated around the perimeters especially those bordering the A96 and the minor roads. Although the two impacted musket balls and lead scrap may be associated with fighting occurring during the battle of Auldearn (1645), the results of the
survey are not considered to represent definitive evidence for the battle. <1>
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred NH 9105 5578 (1438m by 956m)
INVERNESS NAIRN BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
Mar 26 2018 4:27PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.