EHG4866 - Excavation - Eaderloch Crannog, Loch Treig
The Loch Treig island as it formerly appeared has been described by Rev. Odo Blundell, who says that its size was "40 feet by 18, nor could it at any time have been much more than 60 feet by 30, the sides of the rubble construction being visible all round". He gives a general account of the under-water appearance of the island and of the position of a few large beams of wood, which he observed from the surface by means of a "water-telescope." So the island had remained for centuries until, in operations connected with the Lochaber Water Power scheme and the building of the dam across the River Treig, the northward extension of Loch Treig was temporarily drained and the island completely exposed. In July 1933, James Ritchie, on behalf of the laggan-Treig Power scheme, commenced and completed an exploration of the island. Since this examination was made in 1993, the Treig Dam has been in use and the island has been submerged. But a temporary lowering of the water-level revealed disturbance of the bottom deposits of the loch, and in April 1941 James Ritchie took the opportunity to re-examine the site and the dwindling remains of the island. <1> More recent surveying of the crannog has been conducted by AOC Archaeology Ltd in 2007 (see EHG4361).
|Location||Loch Treig, Lochaber|
|Grid reference||Centred NN 3473 7683 (40m by 39m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.