Excavations in 1983 brought to light physical evidence for the later medieval castle, including the well, and shed new light on the layout of the military barracks which replaced it after the 1715 Jacobite Rising. The standing remains of the barracks came into the care of the Secretary of State for Scotland in 1968. Extensive consolidation of the masonry has been carried out on the barracks, which were in a state of considerable disrepair. Archaeological examination of the barracks complex was carried out for Historic Scotland's predecessor department in 1983 to elucidate certain aspects of its plan prior to the implementation of a scheme for its presentation to the public. <1>
Text/Publication/Article: McB Cox, E.. 1998. Ruthven in Badenoch: the excavation of a Highland garrison. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 128. 1105-1119. Digital.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.