A topographical survey of the surviving vitrified stone walls and earthworks enclosing the summit of a hill at Dun Deardail located at NGR NN 1270 7012, 4 km to the SSE of Fort William in the Parish of Kilmallie, County of Inverness-shire, Highland. The site became a scheduled monument (SM2893) in 1970 and was the subject of re-scheduling in 1996. A detailed topographic survey was carried out by Rubicon Heritage Services in February 2014 on behalf of Forestry Commission Scotland. The site, situated in the forestry district of Inverness, Ross & Skye is managed by Forestry Commission Scotland. The purpose of the survey was to provide an enhanced baseline record of the upstanding remains at the site which will inform future conservation and management of the monument. Results from this survey recorded the nature and extent of surviving stonework and earthworks within a zone as specified in the brief prepared by Forestry Commission Scotland. <1>
Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Baker, L. & O'Flaherty, E.. 2014. Archaeological Measured Survey of Dun Deardail late prehistoric fort, near Fort William. Rubicon Heritage Services Ltd. Digital.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.