EHG5244 - Research excavation - hut circle Srathain, Lochbroom
ENVIRONMENTAL SAMPLING, RESEARCH EXCAVATION
An excavation comprising two trenches, was carried out on a hut circle at Srathain in 2012 as part of the WeDigs project led by A Welti. Trench 1 was excavated in the centre of the hut circle and revealed a shallow and very greasy black horizon lying immediately below peaty turf and resting on the natural clay. There were no features, other than a small arc of stones, and no finds. Trench 2, excavated across across what appeared to be a collapsed wall, but proved to be a random pile of stones which overlay and so postdated the greasy black context. A random collection of flat slabs lay at the western end of the trench. White quartz pebbles were found in the black horizon. Two further trenches (3 and 4) for soil profiles were excavated 10m to the SW and 15m to the W. The soil profiles in these almost exactly matched that of Trench 1 with a shallow, greasy, black horizon lying immediately below the turf and directly on the natural. At the same time a fifth trench was excavated across a second platform identified some 100m to the north. The trench was excavated from just outwith the base of the revettment as far as the centre. The results were similar to the excavation of the first platform/hut circle although no dating materal was obtained. <1> Environmental and finds analysis were carried out by AOC Archaeology Group. <2> Additional soil samples analysis. <3> Radio-carbon dating of samples from this hut circle was carried out by SUERC. <4> A shorter published summary of the WeDigs project, including the archaeological trenching at this hut circle was also produced. <5>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Welti, A. & Wildgoose, M.. 2015. Wedigs Project 2012-2014: Final Report: A Study of West Coast Circular Structures through Landscape Survey, Site Survey and Excavation. Unaffiliated. Paper and Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Robertson, J., Roy, L., Engl, R. and McLaren, D.. 2013-14. A Study of West Coast Circular Structures through Landscape Survey, Site Survey and Excavation: Environmental Analysis (including finds analysis). AOC Archaeology Group. Digital.
- <3> Text/Report: Welti. A.. 2013. Results of soil sampling analysis on WeDigs hut circle sites. Anna Welti. Yes. Digital.
- <4> Text/Report: SUERC. 2013-14. Radio-carbon dating of samples from WeDigs Project. SUERC. Digital.
- <5> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Welti, A., Wildgoose, M. & Fenton, J.. 2013. Prehistoric Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. Unaffiliated. Paper and Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1280 9729 (28m by 76m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.