MHG10 - House and enclosure, Leacraithnaich
Site of a house and an associated enclosure, previously identified as two houses, which were abandoned by 1872.
Type and Period (2)
- HOUSE (16th Century to 19th Century - 1560 AD? to 1872 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (16th Century to 19th Century - 1560 AD? to 1872 AD)
- None recorded
Two unroofed buildings are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet lv), but they are not shown on the current (1975) edition of the OS 1:10000 map.
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 May 1998
Outlines of at least 2 houses on the Ternait bank of the march burn. Period of occupation uncertain, but abandoned by 1872 and probably several decades earlier. <1>
A walkover survey in 2008 identified these remains as a house and a sub-rectangular enclosure. The house measures 13m E-W by 5m. The east and south sides of the building are the best preserved, consisting of low roughly coursed stone walls, 0.75m wide and 0.40m high. The north side has collapsed and the east end is missing. It is possible that the structure was damaged during road construction. The enclosure lies 3m ESE of the house and measures 17m E-W by 15m. It is defined by a wall of earth and stone, 0.75m wide and 0.90m high. The enclosure and the associated house were abandoned by 1872 and named Leacraithnaich on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch map. It is recommended that the remains are marked out to avoid damage during road renovations. This house may be an outlier of the Tearnait township. <2>
This site was marked out in August 2009 in advance of construction works for the hydro scheme. It was noted that the house had already been disturbed by earlier road construction. A single fence was erected along the south side of the road to protect these sites and Site 18. <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Gaskell, P. 1968. Morvern transformed: a highland parish in the nineteenth century. 132.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Robertson, J G. 2008. An Archaeological Survey of River Rannoch and Loch Tearnait, Ardtornish Estate, Morvern, Lochaber. Jennifer G Robertson. Digital. Sites 16 and 17, p 7, Plate 6.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Robertson, J G. 09/2009. Loch Tearnait Hydro Scheme, Ardtornish Estate, Morvern, Lochaber, Highland: Report on the protection of archaeological sites. Jennifer G Robertson. Digital. Sites 16 and 17.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 73942 47053 (31m by 27m) (Estimated from sources)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/81979 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.