MHG1000 - EBA Flat Axe - Broubster
Findspot of Bronze Age flat axe.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
An Early Bronze Age flat axe (Coles' type Ba), 4.4ins long, showing incipient flanges, found while cutting a drain at Brubster (Broubster: name ND 028 612) was donated to the NMAS in 1914 by Neil Robertson, Brubster (Acc No: DA 78).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1915; J M Coles 1971.
(Biggar variant of Migdale type). Single find. Flat axe, porous surface, black, sides hammmered and faceted; length 133mm, butt 25mm, cutting edge 55mm, weight 160 gms. NMAS DA 78.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
This axe was loaned to Dunbeath Heritage Museum where it is on display. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. 81.
- --- Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Scotland. 2005. Entry in the Schedule of Monuments Re: The Monument known as Toaluinn, house to SW of Port na Lice, Muck. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Junghans, Sangmeister and Schroder, S, E and M. 1968. Studien zu den Anfangen der Metallurgie II: Kupfer und Bronze in der fruhen Metallzeit Europas. pt. 2.3, no. 7377.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DA 78.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 48, no. 231.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1915. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 49 1914-15, p.10-17, 56, 92, 207-8, 275, 307. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 10-17, 56, 92, 207-8, 275. 11.
- <1> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Dunbeath Heritage Centre Archives.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0279 6120 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-265-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7953 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.