MHG10010 - Chambered Cairn, Carn Liath
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH69SW 25 6092 9305.
(NH 6092 9305) Carn Liath (NR)
OS 6" map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)
Carn Liath, a round cairn about 65ft in diameter and 9ft high, but as the passage and chamber are filled with rubbish nothing can be seen of the structure except the top of a large stone near the centre. When visited by the RCAHMS (1911), certain large stones set upright suggested a chambered character.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; A S Henshall 1963.
A chambered cairn, as described above.
Visited by OS (R D L) 4 June 1963.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 22 September 1980.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 32, No. 86 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 317, SUT 26 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 32, No. 86.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 317, SUT 26.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6091 9305 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1785 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1785 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14013 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.