MHG10016 - Carn an Fhitich
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
NH69SW 31 6166 9220.
(NH 6166 9220) Carn an Fhitich (NR)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1971)
A large cairn of stones with two cists exposed, both firmly bedded in the centre of the cairn. Name Book 1873.
Carn an Fhitich is 42' in diameter and 5' high. It has been excavated and one or two slabs, which have formed part of a cist, lie displaced among the stones. The OS 6" map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907) indicates that two stone cists existed in it.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
The remains of this cairn consist of a mound of small stones c.15.5m in diameter and a height varying from 0.8m on its N side to 1.6m on the S. It has a slightly hollowed-out top, but there is now no sign of a cist or any slabs which may have formed a cist.
Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (W D J) 25 May 1963.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 8 August 1980.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 32, No. 85.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 6, 66.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6166 9220 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14020 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.