MHG10068 - BA Anvil - Cairn, Kyle of Oykel
One of two possible locations for a Bronze anvil, based on Antiquarian sources. See also MHG11884.
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN? (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- FINDSPOT? (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
No further information found during field investigation.
Visited by OS (W D J) 8 June 1963.
Late Bronze Age V G Childe 1946.
A bronze anvil 3.75" long, was found about 1870, in a cairn near the Kyle of Oykel a little further up than the cairn at Maikle which yielded a Bronze Age razor.(NH69SW 26) The only known one to have been found in Scotland, the anvil was donated to NMAS by the Duke of Sutherland in 1891.
J A Smith 1882; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1891.
This anvil was found around 1870. The precise findspot is unknown, and the sources give two different descriptions of its location (Smith, 1882; PSAS, 1891). Neither descriptions are very detailed, and are far enough away from each other that there is a record at each location for this same find. This location is perhaps less convincing, as it is further down from Meikle, rather than further up, and fits the description above only as being close to the River Oykel.
See MHG11884 for other possible findspot location, description and attached anvil find.
- --- SHG1245 Text/Publication/Article: Smith, J A. 1882. 'Notice of a large copper-like or brass anvil, stated to have been found in the South of Scotland: also of a small ancient bronze anvil, found in Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 16 1881-2, p.15-25. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 15-25. 22-5.
- --- SHG2047 Text/Publication/Volume: Childe, V G. 1946. Scotland before the Scots: being the Rhind lectures 1944. 68; illust..
- --- SHG615 Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1891. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 25 1890-1, p.6-8, 64-8, 131-4, 163-6, 348-51, 417-21. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 6-8, 64-8, 131-4, 163-6, . 67.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 59 92 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-438-C& (Link to online NMS collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14037 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.