MHG10111 - Cairn, SE of Kyleoag House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NH69SE 2 6626 9096.
A cairn, entirely overgrown with long heather, lies between 150 and 200 yards SE of Kyleoag House (NH 6612 9107), on top of a slight ridge about 30ft S of the Spinningdale to Migdale road. It measures about 40ft N-S by 45ft E-W and 8ft to 10ft high. It is not certain that it is sepulchral.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
This site was not positively identified, but at NH 6626 9096, on the S side of the road, is a small rubbish-tipping site, the top of which is on the same level as the road surface. The sides and top reveal a considerable quantity of small, cairn-like stones; and it is likely that the rubbish tip covers remains of the cairn described by RCAHMS. No other likely site was seen in the area.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (W D J) 25 May 1963.
The mound described by the previous OS field investigator is now so indistinct that it cannot be classified with any degree of certainty as a cairn. No features resembling a cairn can be seen in the area.
Visited by OS (N K B) 19 September 1980.
No additonal information was forthcoming about true identity of this site or its location.
S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.28
NH 66 90 (centre) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5sq km of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874. The survey area and its immediate environs contain a notable concentration of chambered cairns, and a further example was discovered. This new site is heavily robbed but appears to be of a similar size and chamber type to the other examples in the area.
NH 6626 9096 ?Cairn. (NMRS NH 69 SE 2)
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
S Carter 1997
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Carter, S. 1997. 'Ledmore and Migdale (Creich parish), pre-afforestation survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.45. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 45. 45.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J/Carter S. 1997. Forestry Survey: Ledmore & Migdale, Spinningdale, Sutherland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. 05/02/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 31, No. 83.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6625 9096 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13980 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.