MHG10118 - St. John the Baptist's Well, Helmsdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOLY WELL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
St John the Baptist's Well: This is a well of good water said to have been dedicated to St John the Baptist. Name Book 1871.
St Ian is commemorated in a well near Helmsdale.
A MacKay 1914. <1>
A stone-built structure with door covers the well which is still preserved. An overflow from the well runs out on to a path. On the keystone over the doorway are inscribed the words: 'St Johns Well….Renovated by….V R….1837- 1897'.
Visited by OS (W D J) 23 May 1960.
ND01NW 16 0257 1563.
(ND 0256 1565) St John the Baptist's Well (NR)
OS 25" map, (1971)
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 24 June 1976.
Photos by D Maxwell 12/2003
Conservation report (estimates for repairs) 12/2003 <2>
Well covered by modern stone vault and iron gate. Very well maintained and in use. <3>
- --- SHG3356 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 25, 16.
- <1> SHG2457 Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D (ed.). 1914. History of the Province of Caithness and Sutherland from the Earliest Times to 1615. 34.
- <2> SHG1876 Text/Publication/Volume: Ainsworth G. 2003. Conservation Rep for John the Baptists Well, Helsdale.
- <3> SHG24912 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sneddon, D, Gheorghiou, D, Hansom, J and Shearer, I. 03/2010. East Sutherland Coastal Zone Assessment survey: Data Structure Report. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 12/9/10. Digital. Site 337.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0256 1565 (2m by 2m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7430 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.