MHG10122 - Chambered long cairn - Caen Burn West
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED LONG CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
ND01NW 2 0078 1783.
Long Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, (1964)
This cairn has been entirely ruined and the centre cleared out leaving merely an outline of stones. It is oriented ESE-WNW and appears to have been about 135 feet long, 27 feet broad at the W end widening to 50 feet in the E. There is no sign of a chamber.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; A S Henshall 1963; Visited by OS (W D J) 23 May 1960.
The site was scheduled with a second long cairn to the east in 1934.
No change to previous field report. The stones appear to have been arranged to serve as two stock enclosures.
Visited by OS (J B) 30 June 1976.
The site was rescheduled by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016. It is now Scheduled in isolation. <1>
GIS spatial data amended in 2017 using 2009 vertical APs. <2>
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 126, No. 357 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 311, SUT 16 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
<1> Historic Environment Scotland, 2016, Changes to the schedule of Monuments 01/09/2016 (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG27648.
<2> Get Mapping, 2009, Getmapping aerial photography 2009 (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical). SHG27382.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 126, No. 357.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 311, SUT 16.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Changes to the schedule of Monuments 01/09/2016. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0076 1783 (53m by 36m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13647 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7434 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.