MHG10127 - Salscraggie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED LONG CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
ND01NW 1 0015 1807.
Long Cairn (NR). OS 6" map, (1964)
This cairn measures 160ft along its E-W axis and 70ft across E end. The sides contract regularly to a width of only about 12ft at the W end. The cairn has been severely robbed, except at the E end, resulting in only a slight bank of cairn material. The E end is edged by a kerb of boulders traceable for 26ft. To NE a setting of boulders among ruin of an old field wall appears to edge the corner of a horn. The horn on SE side, some 19ft long,has been obscured. RCAHMS state that cairn does not appear to be horned.
This is probably cairn mentioned by Stuart (1870) as having a passage 2ft high and wide, formed of flags, in E end leading towards centre.
J Stuart 1870; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; A S Henshall 1963; 1972.
This cairn is generally as described by the previous authorities. The cairn material is up to 2m high on the SE side of the E end. The alleged horns are too mutilated for definite identification.
Visited by OS (W D J) 23 May 1960 and (J B) 22 June 1976.
Stuart, J, 1870, 'Report to the committee of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, appointed to arrange for the application of a fund left by the late Mr A Henry Rhind, for excavating early remains', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7 1866-8, p.289-307, 291 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1407.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 127, No. 360 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 328, SUT 51 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stuart, J. 1870. 'Report to the committee of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, appointed to arrange for the application of a fund left by the late Mr A Henry Rhind, for excavating early remains', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7 1866-8, p.289-307. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 289-307. 291.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 127, No. 360.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 328, SUT 51.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0015 1807 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7423 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.