MHG10132 - Chambered Long Cairn - Caen Burn South
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED LONG CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
ND01NW 3 0123 1776.
Long Cairn (NR) OS 25" map, (1970)
The long cairn which is orientated E-W appears to be 168' long, 27' wide at the W end and 46' at the E. At the W end it is only a foot or so in height but rises gradually towards the E where it reaches a height of 7'. The cairn appears to be nearly intact except for an area which has been robbed about the centre of the S side and some disturbance at the E end. 12' within the E end is a large slab aligned with cairn's axis, another large stone lies by it, obviously displaced. These stones together with a large boulder on the E edge indicate a probable chamber under the cairn material.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; A S Henshall 1963.
The cairn was Scheduled in 1934 with a second long cairn to the west.
This long cairn is as described above.
Visited by OS (W D J) 24 May 1960 and (J B) 22 June 1976.
The Scheduling was amended by Historic Environment Scotland in 2017 to exclude the second long cairn to the west but to include an adjacent round cairn, previously Scheduled as SM and a hut circle. <1>
The GIS spatial data was amended in 2017 to take account of its positioning on 2009 APs. <2>
- --- SHG11504 Image/Photograph(s): Strath of Kildonan, Caen Burn.. Colour Slide. .
- --- SHG11505 Image/Photograph(s): Strath of Kildonan, Caen Burn.. Colour Slide. .
- --- SHG2657 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 126, No. 356.
- --- SHG357 Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 311, SUT 15.
- <1> SHG27648 Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Changes to the schedule of Monuments 01/09/2016. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <2> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0122 1776 (63m by 27m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1770 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7445 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.