MHG10133 - Hut circle and associated features - Caen Burn
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Undated)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Undated)
ND01NW 30 0110 1860.
(ND 010 186) Enclosures (NR) (see also ND01NW 29)
OS 6" map, (1964)
Some 100 yards NNE of the hut circle (ND01NW 6 ) there is a circular enclosure. An old wall runs off from the bank on the E of the enclosure. RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
The hut circle was Scheduled in 1934.
The hut circle at ND 0110 1860 measures internally 11.0m SE-NW by 10m. The wall is spread to about 2.8m in the NW widening to 4.0m at the entrance in the SE. The wall running from the hut is of a questionable age; although of a slight nature for the first 40m, after an intersection with a ditch of the 18th/19th century, it continues in a form of certain 18th/19th century type (This may be a head-dyke, see ND01NW 71). Whether this second stretch overlies an earlier wall cannot be seen. The ground surrounding the three huts (ND01NW 6, 29, 30) is slightly marshy in places and borders 18th/19th century enclosures lying downhill to the E. An old field wall and one or two clearance heaps are the only traces of contemporary cultivation in the vicinity.
Revised at 1/10,000.
Visited by OS (W D J) 24 May 1976 and (J B) 15 May 1976.
The Scheduled area was amended by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016. <1> <2>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 110, No. 318.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Changes to the Schedule of Monuments: 1820, 1841, 13647, 1770, 90048, 4338, 501, 595. Historic Environment Scotland. 01/09/2016. Digital.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM1841: Caen, hut circles and souterrain 982m, 1035m and 1083m NNW of. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0109 1860 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1841 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7446 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.