MHG10135 - Burnt Mound, Caen Burn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURNT MOUND (Undated)
- None recorded
ND01NW 32 0120 1825.
About 1/2 mile up the glen of the Caen Burn on its W side situated on a marshy spot, with no trace of cultivation anywhere in the vicinity, are two parallel mounds about 18' apart, 22' long by 14' broad and 4' high slightly converging to one end. This construction appears to have been a kiln similar to those noted elsewhere.
ND 0120 1825. This is a burnt mound set close to a small stream and the Caen Burn. It is visible as two heather-covered mounds converging and joining at the W end, and open in the E. Overall it measures 8.0m E-W by 5.0m with a maximum height of 1.2m. A trial excavation revealed at a depth of 0.5m below the peat layer a content of small burnt stones, blackened earth and charcoal.
Surveyed at 1:10 560. Visited by OS (J B) 11 May 1976.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 109, No. 317 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0120 1825 (16m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7448 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.