MHG10145 - Caen Burn North
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED LONG CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
ND01NW 5 0125 1802.
Long Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, (1964)
On the W side of the Caen Burn are the remains of a long cairn. The cairn is much dilapidated, but no chamber is exposed. It lies ENE and WSW and measures about 100' in length, some 35' in breadth at the E end and 27' at the W.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; A S Henshall 1963; Visited by OS (W D J) 24 May 1960.
This cairn is as generally described by previous authorities. It consists of bare stones and rises to 1m near the E end, with part of this extremity destroyed by an old track and erosion. Several excavation pits have failed to reveal a chamber. Near the W end, to the S of centre is a rectangular flat-topped, heather covered mound with its axis parallel to that of the cairn. It measures 4m by 2.8m by 0.3m. Apparent wall coursing is visible on the E, N and S sides. It is a later feature possibly the result of piled excavation debris. Denuded field walls run from the SW and NW corners of the cairn; they are probably contemporary with the early modern ruins in the vicinity.
Visited by OS (J B) 7 May 1976.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 126, No. 358 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 311, SUT 14 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 126, No. 358.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 311, SUT 14.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0125 1802 (33m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:432 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM432 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7467 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.