MHG10148 - Hut circle and souterrain - Caen Burn
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- SOUTERRAIN (Undated)
ND01NW 6 0106 1850.
Enclosure and Earth house (NR). OS 6" map, (1964)
On W side of the Caen Burn glen is a hut circle with a diameter of 37' surrounded by a bank about 4' thick increasing towards the entrance passage, 12'6" long, in SE. A wall 2' to 4' thick runs in a curve within the hut 24'6" from the hut's entrance. Against the inside of this wall there appears to have been another small oval enclosure measuring internally some 16' x 6'. Inside the hut just E of the entrance is the entrance of an earth house with a total length of 26'. At end it is 3'6" wide and 4'10" high. The external features of the circle give no indication of the existence of the earth house.
From the E side of the hut's entrance a wall runs down the hill.
J Anderson 1873; A B Scott 1899; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
The hut circle and souterrain were Scheduled in 1934.
This hut circle (10.5m internal diameter) and souterrain are as described. See ND01NW 30 for details of surrounding cultivation.
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (WDJ) 24 5 1960, (JB) 22 6 1976.
Renumbered from ND01NW0006A
The Scheduled area was amended by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016. <1> <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, J. 1873. ''Notice of the excavation of the brochs of Yarhouse, Brounaben, Bowermadden, Old Stirkake, and Dunbeath in Caithness; with remarks on the period of the brochs, and an appendix, containing a collected list of the brochs of Scotland, and early notices of m. Archaeol Scot. 131-98. 188.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Scott, A B. 1899. 'The earth-houses of Kildonan, Sutherland', The Scottish Antiquary or Northern Notes and Queries Vol. 13 April 1899, p.155-60. The Scottish Antiquary or Northern Notes and Queri. 155-60. 159-60.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 109-10, No. 318; plan, illust..
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Changes to the Schedule of Monuments: 1820, 1841, 13647, 1770, 90048, 4338, 501, 595. Historic Environment Scotland. 01/09/2016. Digital.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM1841: Caen, hut circles and souterrain 982m, 1035m and 1083m NNW of. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0106 1850 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1841 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7478 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.