MHG10151 - Helmsdale Old Harbour

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • HARBOUR (Built, 19th Century - 1814 AD to 1874 AD (between))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Structures alongside the river inlet on Helmsdale side. Structures becoming damaged and a number of upstanding rotten timbers prob from some previous wharf structure. See photo. <1>

ND01NW 62 0272 1529

For (successor and present) Helmsdale, Harbour (ND 0300 1515) and description of both harbours, see ND01NW 61.

The modern A9 road bridge has divided the harbour in two and has removed the harbour entrance. Little now remains of the harbour to the east of the A9 bridge. The mapped boundary shows an approximation of the harbour as depicted on the 1st edition 25" OS map of 1874 <2>.

Harbour constructed of stone blocks and concrete. The south western side consists of a dressed stone block side pier with the top covered in grass. The NE, landward side, is of a similar construction located next to the modern road. The NW end has no stone protection and consists of a coarse gravelly beach backing onto a grass slope. At the SE end of pier wooden posts are just visible although visited at high tide. <3>

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 0274 1525 (237m by 193m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND01NW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish KILDONAN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.