MHG10172 - House, former Fish Curing Yard Offices, Shore Street, Helmsdale

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (3)

  • OFFICE (Built, 19th Century - 1817 AD to 1817 AD)
  • CUSTOM HOUSE? (In use, 19th Century - 1900 AD? to 1900 AD? (circa))
  • HOUSE (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1874 AD? to 1991 AD (between))

Protected Status

Full Description

ND01NW 55 0291 1522.
------
The premises of Landles and Calder (Curing Yard and Red Herring House) were on the sea front at the foot of Lichfiled Street, with the yards of Redpath of Berwick to the East and those of the Simpsons from Moray to the West. It was in 1817 that James Landles negotiated with Lord and Lady Stafford for ground on which to erect buildings for the herring fishery. The cost was £2100 sterling. Landles and Calder also leased the salmon fishings, and built and maintained cruives (fish traps) on the Helmsdale, Brora and Shin rivers.
See Assoc. Docs. File
A S Cowper (Northern Times), 25/12/1987
------
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, pp. 239-245) <1>.

J Aitken : 19/2/2004
------
House on Shore St, carries Sutherland Coat of Arms Stone, but date obscured by lamp. Photo - HAW 11/2002

Upstanding building. Still in use and well maintained. Constructed over two floors with a slate roof. <2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 0290 1522 (12m by 19m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND01NW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish KILDONAN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.