MHG10196 - Dalveghouse


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NC75NW 40 717 557.

(NC 717 557) Dalveghouse (OS 6"map, Sutherland, 1st ed., 1873). The remains of a depopulated settlement, mentioned as Dalvigaibe (Macfarlane 1906-8) in 1726, which since it was under sheep in 1873 (ONB 1873) is presumably one of those abandoned during the clearance of Strathnaver between 1814 and 1819.
Name Book 1873; W Macfarlane 1906-8; J Prebble 1963.

Dalveghouse (name unverified) comprises the footings of about three longhouses, the largest 28.0m by 4.0m along with associated enclosures. Rig and furrow cultivation is visible north of the structures. Visited by OS (J B) 18 December 1978.

This township comprising four unroofed long buildings, three other unroofed buildings and three enclosures, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet xxvii). Six unroofed buildings and two enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1964).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 21 August 1995

Sources/Archives (7)



Grid reference Centred NC 7175 5565 (189m by 432m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC75NW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish FARR

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.