MHG10205 - Medieval Body On Moor, Rogart
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- GRAVE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
NC70SW 27 c. 73 03.
A grave found on the moor at Springhill, Rogart (NC 73 03) in 1876 contained a body with a possibly Medieval woven shirt, a brogue and a cord, which, together with a plait of hair from the body are in Dunrobin Museum (Acc No 1876.3).
Palace of History 1911; A S Henshall 1954; Information from Catalogue
of Dunrobin Museum by A S Henshall.
Finds still in Dunrobin Museum.
Visited by OS (N K B) 18 May 1981.
The finds were not located during and inventory of the museum by Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands in 2019. <1>
- --- SHG2609 Text/Publication/Volume: Glaister, J (et al). 1911. Scottish exhibition of national history, art and industry, Glasgow (1911): Palace of History catalogue of exhibits. Vol. 2, 865.
- --- SHG694 Text/Publication/Article: Henshall, A S. 1954. 'Early textiles found in Scotland: Part 1 (locally made)', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 86 1951-2, p.1-29. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-29. 18-21; illust.
- <1> SHG28514 Collection/Finds Collection: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection At Dunrobin Castle Museum.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7300 0299 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5982 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.