MHG1023 - Farmstead - Claban
A ruined farmstead at Claban.
Type and Period (4)
- FARMSTEAD (18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD? to 1850 AD? (at some time))
- ENCLOSURE (18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD? to 1850 AD? (at some time))
- KILN BARN (18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD? to 1850 AD? (at some time))
- RIG AND FURROW (18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD? to 1850 AD? (at some time))
- None recorded
A ruined farmstead at Claban.
Claban. OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1877)
A longhouse, standing to 1.2m high, also two ruined buildings, one incorporating a kiln. Adjoining are low enclosures and traces of rig and furrow.
Visited by OSFI JB 29.9.1981
Farmstead, recorded by R Mercer in 1982 during a survey undertaken by the University of Edinburgh, one of several over a number of years in Caithness:
Site FOR 263a: Longhouse. Dimensions: 25.50m x.7m. Walls survive to 3-9 courses high and ar 2m thick. Internal subdivisions 7m 12m and 22m from SW end. Orientation: WSW-ENE. Associated with a wall of earth and stone with a spread of 2.50m. (Fig. 71).
Site FOR 263b: Enclosure. Diemensions: 30m x 30m. Height: 0.40m. Wall spread of 0.80m. Associated with longhouse (a).
Site FOR 263c: Longhouse. Dimensions: 41m x 5.30m. Internal divisions 15m and 20m from the W end. Entrance on the N side by the first internal.
Site FOR 263d: Enclosure. Dimensions: 60m x 15m. Wall spread to 0.60m. Subdivided 15m from its W end. Lomghouse 'c' is incorporated in the wall of the enclosure with the body of the longhouse lting on the inside. Orientation: E-W.
Site FOR 263e: Structure. Dimensions: 8.50m x 5.20m. Rectangular structure joined to the N of longhouse 'd'. Square attachment 2m x 2m on its E end. Parallel with house 'c'.
Site FOR 263f: Structure. Dimensions: 6.50m x 4m. Rectangular structure with an entrance in its E end. At its N end is a semi-circular kiln-annexe 5.50m wide. To the E of structure 'e'.
Elevation: 300' OD ND 028603 <1>
A farmstead comprising three unroofed buildings, one of which is a long building, two enclosures and a ring-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet x). One unroofed building, two enclosures and the ring-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1987).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 3 October 1995.
The farmstead was identified in LiDAR data gathered by AOC Archaeology in 2011 as part of the mitigation for the visual impact on the archaeological landscape associated with the proposed Baillie Hill windfarm, Caithness. <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H.. 1985. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1985. Paper and Digital. p.187 Site 263(a-f) & Fig. 71.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G.. 2012. Baillie Hill and Cnoc Freiceadain, Caithness: LiDAR Survey. AOC Archaeology Group. Digital. Lines 56 & 57 & Polygons 129-132. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0280 6023 (102m by 105m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (2)
- http://bronzeagecaithness.aocarchaeology.com/lidar/ (View LiDAR data online)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7976 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.