MHG1024 - Limekilns, Broubster
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- LIME KILN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
On a green patch in a heather moor are two dilapidated lime kilns, 2m and 3m in diameter. The associated quarrying is immediately adjacent. Visited by OS 29 September 1981.
Scheduled in 1992.
Marked as 'Old Limekilns' on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. <1>
The monument comprises 2 lime kilns of post-medieval date situated within the western extension to the Brawlbin plantation. The monument consists of the foundations of 2 circular lime kilns and traces of quarrying on open heather moorland The larger of the 2 lime kilns measures about 5m in diameter with 2 opposed entrances and with remains of a flue to the S. The kiln has tumbled stone grass-covered walls about 70cm high. The second kiln is very small, being about 1.5m in diameter and with an entrance to the N. The walls of this kiln are also of grass-covered tumbled stone. There is an area of quarrying to the E of the kilns, and a number of low mounds of spoil in the surrounding area.
These kilns are likely to be of post-rnedieval date. Limestone was burned in order to produce lime for fertilising plants and producing whitewash.
Management plan for period 01/11/99 - 31/10/2004. <2>
Further management plan for site, for period 01/04/2010 - 31/03/2020. <3>
- <1> SHG23362 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Caithness. Digital.
- <2> SHG25058 Text/Report/Management Plan: Historic Scotland and Forestry Commission Scotland. 2000. Scheduled Ancient Monument Management Plan: Bridge of Broubster, Lime Kilns 1450m ENE of. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <3> SHG25057 Text/Report/Management Plan: Historic Scotland and Forestry Commission Scotland. 2010. Forest Enterprise Monument Plan: Bridge of Broubster, Lime Kilns. Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0487 6081 (58m by 73m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5306 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7977 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.