MHG1026 - Chambered Cairn, Hill of Shebster
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
The heavily-robbed remains of this round, stalled cairn of Orkney-Cromarty type are 80ft in diameter.
A S Henshall 1963.
This turf-covered chambered cairn, 1.6m max height & approx 26m diameter, has been mutilated by an excavation trench in NE. The top has been robbed revealing seven stone slabs forming the stalls of a gallery grave and two portal stones are in SE corner of cairn.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 13 11 1964.
This chambered cairn is as described by the previous authorities.
Visited by OS (J B) 11 September 1981.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 101, No. 367 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 56, 71, 274, CAT 28; plan fig. 44 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S, 1991, The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents, 117, no. 28; plan (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2115.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 117, no. 28; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 101, No. 367.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 56, 71, 274, CAT 28; plan fig. 44.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0118 6462 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:476 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM476 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7979 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.