MHG1028 - Severely Robbed Cairn, Shebster
Site of severley robbed cairn.
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- (Alternate Type) CHAPEL (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
This robbed cairn, situated on fairly steep sloping S-facing ground, measures approximately 16.5m E-W by 15m. The stones on site are likely to be remnants of cairn material standing now to 0.5m high. Of the large stones on S side, only one is in situ.
Visited by OS (J B) 11 September 1981.
(ND 0118 6413) Cairn (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
This cairn has been almost completely destroyed so that the remains consist only of a vague circle of small rubble stones; along the S periphery are six large stones, maximum size 1.4 by 1 by 0.6m. The entire centre of the remains of the cairn is occupied by field clearance stones.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (NKB) 11 November 1964.
Material has been removed from site of this cairn quite recently. RCAHMS 1911.
Supposed Site of (NAT) Chapel (NR)
OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
'This is the supposed remains of a Roman Catholic chapel and the NSA mentions the fact of one having stood here (see ND06SW 23) but nothing definite can be ascertained about it; the mass of stones resembles the remains of a burial cairn (and there is) nothing resembling the ruin of a building in this heap of stones.'
Name Book 1873.
George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 9, 79 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3399.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 100, No. 366 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 100, No. 366.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 9, 79.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0118 6413 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7981 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.